Serving as Portland’s first fully universally-designed building, the project will set a new standard for accessibility. The building will also conduct weekly tours highlighting Universal Design features, raising awareness of the importance accessibility for all, and will be a dynamic model for the Pacific Northwest. The mission of the Discovery Lab will be to connect individuals of all ages with life-changing technology tools so they can participate and contribute fully in their home, school, work, and communities.
- Accessible building entrances with automatic doors and motion sensors in all automatic doors
- Kick-plate elevator buttons near the floor for individuals using wheelchairs or without use of their arms or hands
- Colored carpet near the wall indicating an unrestricted path to assist individuals with limited vision.
- Reachable light switches placed at a height lower than standard for easier access for individuals with limited mobility
- Power outlets placed at a height higher than standard for easier access for individuals with limited mobility
- Door and cabinets with knobs and pulls for easier access for individuals with limited mobility.
- All restrooms with closed-door , fully accessible ADA stalls
- Adjustable-height workplace desk surfaces